Sunday, November 18, 2007

the wonder that is GPS


so I am pretty ok with directions. I enjoy a few minutes poking around on maps.google.com like anybody else. But oh my word I have now discovered the bliss that is traveling with a GPS. My mom and I just spent the past week trekking all over central California, and I can't even begin to imagine how we would have done it with out our girl Gladys Magellan here. Don't ask me why we named her Gladys. Hours and hours of travel along with hours and hours of sitting (ie way too much time to think) will do that to you. The thing is incredible. Not only does it get you *anywhere* you need to go, you can punch in 'Starbucks' and it tells you all the nearest locations from wherever you currently sit; "Mall" and you suddenly have a huge list of shopping options. I also feel like I learned some important parenting skills after dealing with her constant interruptions that were impossible to talk over. It was I imagine much like having a 4 year old child in the car. Except for it'd be a very helpful child telling us to 'stay on the current road' or that there was a 'left turn in 0.5 miles'.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We use the Verizon version when we are on the road. We call her Debbie Directions. It is in fact a lifesaver at times. Our favorite line from her, "make next legal U turn". Which we hear quite a bit, but not always an easy task in a tour bus.